Job Description: President/General Manager
Summary and Responsibilities
The President/General Manager (GM) is responsible for the mission, strategic and creative vision, and daily operations of Northeast Indiana Public Radio (NIPR). The GM reports to and supports the leadership expectations of the Board of Directors and fosters a culture that inspires excellence, diversity, equal opportunity, and a welcoming work environment.
The GM leads all aspects of station operations including on-air and digital broadcast and digital programming, while growing the audience to fulfill the goal of being an essential local institution throughout Northeast Indiana. The GM also heads efforts to develop partnerships and ensures financial stability through ongoing fundraising efforts and cost control.
This position will maintain the culture and ethical standards of public service media and build on the NPR brand in Northeast Indiana. Specific duties include:
- Maintaining compliance with federal, state, and local regulations, including all Federal Communications Commission and Corporation for Public Broadcasting rules and regulations.
- Managing the direction, development, and leadership of staff and volunteer program hosts.
- Managing the strategic direction and oversight of the budget, expenditures, and long-term financial sustainability.
- Expanding opportunities for public broadcasting beyond traditional areas to broaden the funding base and external support.
- Obtaining funding from federal and state funds, foundations, and major donors and ensuring effective membership drives; plan and initiate major gift solicitations and grant writing.
- Developing programming to grow diverse, cross-platform audiences including digital and podcasts.
- Leading programming, marketing, outreach, and business operations.
- Serving as a non-voting member of the NIPR Board and attending all board and related committee meetings.
Required qualifications and education
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in business, broadcasting, or related fields.
- Minimum of five years of senior management experience in broadcasting or related fields.
- Demonstrated ability to manage, lead, and supervise other professionals. Demonstrated success in leading fundraising activities and securing external funding and grants.
- Experience working with a Board in strategic planning and decision-making.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion initiatives to community and staff.
- Demonstrated positive and effective interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Community-focused, passionate about our region, and effective at growing revenue and philanthropic support.
- Preferred candidates have significant experience working in public media, fundraising, radio program production, contracts, and grants; and/or have significant experience in a leadership role overseeing a journalistic operation.
How to apply
Email a cover letter and resumé to: firstname.lastname@example.org Additionally, please provide the name, phone number, and email address for three professional references. Applicants selected for interviews will be required to take a personality/communication style survey and be available for in-person interviews in Fort Wayne.
For any additional questions, please email the Search Committee at email@example.com.
Applications are due no later than December 19, 2022.