JOB TITLE: WBOI President and General Manager
WBOI is searching for a dynamic leader to serve as its next President and General Manager to manage operations and serve as the external ambassador of their renowned Public Radio Station. Having just achieved 45 years on air, WBOI serves audiences across northeast Indiana, northwest Ohio and southern Michigan. WBOI produces about 30 hours of local programming each week.
The President reports to the Board of Directors, will be directly responsible for all station activities and will provide an innovative, creative and strategic vision for WBOI as they seek to maintain and expand the station’s position across several platforms, while navigating the continual transformation of digital media.
The President of WBOI must excel at community engagement and partnership building with the ability to deliver critical and effective fundraising leadership to both public and private sectors, while providing internal leadership and management of staff and facilities.
Salary: $100,000 with opportunities for performance bonuses
About Fort Wayne:
Fort Wayne seamlessly blends the charm of the Midwest with the excitement of a vibrant, growing city. It is home to a rich history, diverse culture, and an ever-evolving landscape of arts, entertainment, and cuisine. The city, the second largest in Indiana, sits at the confluence of three rivers - the St. Marys, the St. Joseph, and the Maumee, which provide an incredible backdrop for a host of recreational activities and events. From strolling through the award-winning Fort Wayne Children's Zoo, attending local and national performances at the historic Embassy Theatre, to honoring the city's history at the Old Fort, Fort Wayne is a treasure trove of experiences waiting to be discovered.
Fort Wayne is more than just a historical destination; it's a city that embraces the present while respecting its past. Visitors can revel in the city's thriving arts scene, with the Fort Wayne Museum of Art offering a diverse range of exhibitions, and the murals downtown adding a splash of color to the city. In addition, the vibrant music scene has made Fort Wayne a hub for local, regional, and national musical acts. Moreover, the city is packed with unique shopping destinations, from the eclectic boutiques at Jefferson Pointe to downtown retailers of artisan goods and locally made products at the local farmers' markets.
The city's culinary landscape is equally impressive, with a diverse array of restaurants, food trucks, and breweries serving everything from farm to fork to international cuisine. The city's love for festivals like Johnny Appleseed Festival and the Three Rivers Festival, combined with its passion for sports at Parkview Field and the Memorial Coliseum, ensures there's always something fun happening in Fort Wayne. This city effortlessly combines small-town hospitality with big-city attractions, creating a destination that is at once welcoming, exciting, and endlessly intriguing.
Critical Skills and Attributes:
Together the staff, Board and external stakeholders provided insights to develop a profile of the ideal leader for WBOI. We will engage with and select from candidates with the following skills and characteristics:
WBOI seeks an effective fundraiser who is knowledgeable of and expert at the President/General Manager role in fundraising and resource development, who:
- Has a demonstrated record of success with major donor fundraising;
- Is effective as a mission spokesperson and at relationship management aspects of fundraising, both individual and institutional;
- Has a comprehensive understanding of public media fundraising strategies and methods;
- Is creative and capable of conceiving and developing alternative revenue streams.
We seek an experienced and mission-driven individual, who will collaboratively foster a positive, aligned culture within WBOI, keep the organization improving its effectiveness in serving the people of our region, and who:
- Is a respectful, fair and mission-driven team leader and builder;
- Is a selfless, effective change agent who puts the mission and success of WBOI first;
- Is an empowering leader: Takes time to learn and utilize existing strengths of individuals and groups, and mentors and supports professional growth of individuals and our staff as a whole;
- Has great people skills and is effective with a wide range of stakeholders – from staff to individual donors and regional legislative, congressional, business and community leaders.
Our expectation is to attract a person with an expert level of knowledge and media savvy, including trends in technology and consumption of media (digital, broadcast, podcasting) who:
- Has a high level of understanding of the importance, issues and trends of localism, and ability to lead WBOI in this area;
- Is skilled at providing strategic management, including investment decisions related to maintaining effectiveness of our studio and our physical space, geographically dispersed radio transmitting and digital capacity;
- Is technologically competent in the content area, fluent with strategic and tactical aspects of digital and social media, and able to provide effective leadership towards identifying and adopting new platforms.
Community Relationships/Public Presence:
The leader we seek will:
- Continue to grow WBOI’s presence in the area, has personal qualities the community/region can connect with, and over a short period of time will become an active participant and recognized leader in our region;
- Demonstrate a record of community engagement and collaboration, and of developing partnerships with individuals and organizations;
- Is comfortable and effective with a wide range of people, including at high levels (and being seen as peer) of civic leadership in the region;
- Have a high level of energy for visiting stakeholders across the region, as well as authentic enthusiasm for Fort Wayne in its geographic and demographic diversity.
In the context of ongoing transformational changes, the Internet is having on availability and use of media as well as societal changes in the external and internal environment, our candidate:
- Should display an ability to project WBOI’s needs into the long-term future;
- Can see and understand future trends in media, in related fields and the world, and the impact on our work and workplace;
- Has a learning orientation, including demonstrated methods for gathering, assimilating and making meaning out of information about the changing media, technology and demographic landscape;
- Can balance vision with doing;
- Is able to enroll others in working together to execute vision.
Powerful understanding of and use of strategy in organizational life:
- Knowledgeable of dynamics affecting the current and future environment of WBOI (especially the extremely volatile media environment) and effective at maximizing the organization in response to these dynamics;
- Knowledgeable of population, technology and media consumption trends in the Fort Wayne region;
- Highly developed skill at prioritizing, and accomplished at sequencing change;
- Has understanding and makes use of networking with and benchmarking other organizations to increase station effectiveness;
- Able to continuously develop, execute and evaluate strategic plans, in concert with other stakeholders, and to champion strategic perspectives.
To lead and represent WBOI in various arenas, we seek a person with highly developed public and private interpersonal skills, who:
- Can demonstrate being a skillful listener;
- Enjoys being in a public situation;
- Is an organized thinker, effective writer and speaker;
- Is personable, inspiring and respectful;
- Is an effective spokesperson for the organization.
The next leader of WBOI will be someone who has a high level of adaptability and who:
- Has a solid sense of self and is able to be flexible;
- Is creative;
- Adapts positively and easily to change;
- Actively solicits new ideas and opinions.
Working closely with the Board, the General Manager is responsible for:
- Assuring that the Board is kept fully informed of the activities, operations, and the financial conditions of the station required for the efficient and orderly conduct of business;
- Overseeing the preparation and presentation of annual budgets for the consideration of the Board, and reporting to the Board on the financial condition of the organizations;
- Maintaining continuing communication with Board members so that necessary actions can be taken between Board meetings;
- Accounting to the Board for carrying out all motions, resolutions, and directives approved by the Board.
Problem Solving and Decision Making:
WBOI seeks an expert decision-maker, who:
- Has the ability to prioritize and determine significance of a particular issue, understands who to include in the problem-solving process, and knows what and how much information is needed;
- Is able to effectively analyze and use data in the decision-making process, and will make decisions in a timely matter;
- Is good at follow-through - clearly communicates decisions, designs and administers effective execution, with appropriate pre-determined success measures and time-posts;
- Has a high level of personal strength to stick by decisions and/or know when a change of direction is needed.
WBOI is being assisted in this search by Livingston Associates.
As part of your application process, you are asked to also submit a resume, letter of introduction including your vision for the future of public media and how you will be the ideal person to lead WBOI in achieving that vision. These documents should be uploaded when you apply.
Date for full consideration: September 24
Inquiries are welcome with Livingston Associates at (410) 243-1974. To apply, visit their website.
WBOI offers a competitive salary plus a comprehensive benefits package for employees including healthcare, retirement, paid time off, dental and vision.
It is the policy of WBOI to provide equal employment opportunity for all persons and not to discriminate in employment because of race, religion, gender, age, marital status, veteran status, national origin, physical or mental disability, or sexual orientation.