SBOE To Consider Changing How Indiana Calculates School Funding This Fall
The Indiana State Board of Education is considering a plan to protect funding for schools reopening virtually this school year, after a warning of possible cuts from lawmakers last month.
It isn't the student-count delay Gov. Eric Holcomb initially requested.
Instead, INSBOE is considering a different method, by adjusting how the state counts enrolled kids.
A memo to the board said the fall student count day will happen as planned in mid-September. It says rather than a delay, the state can use data from the last time students were counted to determine whether or not they should receive virtual-level funding.
According to the proposed changes, schools would receive funding per student based on two factors: whether or not the student was learning only online last school year during the February student count date, and whether the school was operating as a virtual school at the time – before the pandemic hit.
Join the conversation and sign up for the Indiana 2020 Two-Way. Text "elections" to 73224. Your comments and questions in response to our weekly text help us find the answers you need on COVID-19 and the 2020 election.
Holcomb's call for the board to take action came after a top lawmaker warned schools of possible cuts if they open only online this fall. He pitched the idea as a way to circumvent a 2019 law limiting virtual-based funding for schools, and allow lawmakers to address with the issue when the legislative session starts in January.
But school leaders and educators pushed back on that proposal, saying a student-count delay – and the unknowns about how much schools would receive based on that data – would complicate conversations directly tied to funding levels, like teacher pay. Many, including the State Superintendent of Public Instruction Jennifer McCormick called for a special legislative session.
The board is scheduled to vote on the changes at its meeting Wednesday morning.