Fort Wayne City Council Approves Legacy Funds For Riverfront Promenade
On Tuesday the Fort Wayne City Council approved a $10 million allocation of Legacy funding to be used towards the City’s riverfront development project.
In September, Council voted to temporarily freeze Legacy spending on any riverfront development plans until Mayor Tom Henry’s office provided a more concrete proposal.
Since then, Henry’s office, with the help of Fort Wayne Parks and Recreation and developers of the project, prepared plans for the project’s first phase: the waterfront promenade.
Those plans would cost $20 million, and half of that cost was requested from the Legacy Fund.
That $10 million was approved by the Legacy Committee on November 10, and confirmed by City Council on Tuesday night. Parks and Rec deputy director Mark Becker says completion of the promenade is still a ways off, but the public should start seeing progress soon.
“It’ll take about a year and a half to build the park, but I think it’s going to be exciting for everyone to see all of this come to fruition,” said Becker. “It’s going to be an incredible park on the river. ”
The City hopes to begin construction on the promenade next year, and have that part of the project completed by 2018. Council also approved The Hagerman Group as the team to lead construction Tuesday night.